Saturday, August 31, 2024

At the Table :: 2024 Rainy Day Bites May to August

My foodie posts may not be everyone's cup of tea, and I totally get that. So feel free to peruse or move on as I report in on the last several months of Rainy Day Bites Cookbook Club. I'm actually heading out on vacation in the morning, so hopefully I'll be able to post a bit on IG. But I'll be back posting about quilting and sewing before you know it.

Note that I linked to each IG post, in case you wanted to read what I wrote about each recipe.


May

Featured book: First Generation: Recipes From my Taiwanese-American Home by @littlefatboyfrankie

Topic: Identity through food.

scallion pancakes 


fried egg rice with cilantro


June

Featured book: The Global Pantry Cookbook: Transform Your Everyday Cooking with Tahini, Gochujang, Miso, and Other Irresistible Ingredients by @anntaylorpittman and @scottmowb 

Topic: Diversify your pantry and avoiding waste.

"diner-style" French onion soup



crunchy panko pain perdu with bacon ketchup and bacon maple syrup



May & June baking: Chicano Bakes: Recipes for Mexican Pan Dulce, Tamales, and my Favorite Desserts by @chicanoeats.

Mexican sprinkle cookies




chocolate caliente


tres leches




July

Featured book: The Gaza Kitchen: A Palestinian Culinary Journey by @gazamom @thegazakitchen 

Topic: Discover the food and people of war-torn Gaza.

falafel






August

Featured book: Islas: A Celebration of Tropical Cooking: 125 Recipes from the Indian, Atlantic, and Pacific Ocean Islands by @cocinacriolla 

Topic: Explore the diverse food and complex history of the tropical islands and the issues they face including colonialism, climate change, and food insecurity.

pernil (AKA marinated roast pork shoulder)




stewed red beans with butternut squash


July & August baking: Sugarcane: Sweet Recipes from My Half-Filipino Kitchen by @arlynosborne.

Maja Blanca Custard Cake







marbled ube banana bread



Our last day of the month global baking party selections (any recipe from any cookbook):

May | New Zealand/Australia: Pavlova from 
barefoot contessa at home cookbook by Ina Garten 
@inagarten.



June 
Italy: Gelato, Sorbet or Granita from from Aloha Days Hula Nights, a cookbook from The Junior League of Honolulu HI

lemon granita



July 
Greece/Turkey: Baklava from San Juan Classis by Janice Veal and Dawn Ashbach



August 
Portugal: Pastéis de Nata (custard cream tarts) from My Portugal: Recipes and Stories by George Mendes


This quarter had several new-to-me ingredients. I learned about ube - purple yam from the Philippines; and pandan, made from leaves of a tropical plant.  Probably my absolute favorite discovery was tres leche, which I's heard of but never had. Now I have the recipe to make it myself. Remember, anyone can join the club. Just follow @rainydaybites to see what we're cooking each month!

3 comments:

  1. I always enjoy your foodie posts! What a fun variety of recipes you've tried. Thanks for sharing your favorite of all of them, too. Enjoy your vacation!

    ReplyDelete
  2. My mouth is watering! Falafel and pork shoulder! And baklava... open a restaurant Debbie.....

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love browsing your food photos! So many of these different foods look like things I'd enjoy eating. Of course, I'm mostly admiring the sweets - custard cake, tiramisu, baklava. Oh my but I'm impressed by your cooking skills. Leave it to our good God to dole out lavish gifts of quiltmaking and cooking. You've got them both!

    ReplyDelete