Thursday, August 29, 2024

Plover Pouch

I couldn't help but try the new Plover Pouch pattern from Anna Graham @noodlehead531, so I set the chair project aside and dug in. After deciding to make the medium version, I was pretty thrilled at the main fabric I found in my stash to use for it - an OOP viewmasters from Ruby Star Rising by Melody Miller. Essex Homespun in Navy coordinated nicely as the accent gusset fabric; lining fabric was a little harder to find but I think Ruby Star Society Thatch in Cloud from Floradora by Jen Hewett fit well, and luckily I had enough.

As usual, cutting and interfacing all the pattern pieces is half the effort in bag-making, though I actually found the actual sewing of this bag kind of challenging. Between the unique technique of the zipper panels, the gussets, and using zipper by the yard, it just took some real focus. 

One thing about that zipper by the yard is that it isn't measured quite the same as traditional zippers. Thankfully, Anna provided excellent tips on how to measure and make adjustments for both types. 

I somehow missed that fold-over elastic was listed among the needed supplies, so I improvised on the trim of the mesh pockets. I used the selvage from the lining fabric. I thought it added a fun touch. 

A feature of the Plover that I really liked was the snaps holding down the zipper end tabs. Unfortunately I didn't have the right kind of snaps, and realizing late in the game, I opted for buttons. I only had two I liked well enough to use, and even though they didn't match, I liked that they were both blue, so went with them anyway. I'll stock up on the snaps for next time.


So even though this pouch was more challenging than some I've made, the second I turned it right-side out, nearly finished, I loved it and wouldn't really hesitate to make it again. Another great feature of the pattern is that Anna provides a video sew-along(!), which is always an asset. I found the medium version (10” wide by 3 ½” deep, 7 ½” tall) to be a terrific size for a variety of uses. Not sure yet if I'll use mine for a hand project or for personal items, but either way, I can't wait!

5 comments:

  1. Such a cute pouch. I've been eyeing this pattern since I saw her release, so thank you for sharing your thoughts on the construction and pattern. It's just such a neat looking pouch! Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your pouch turned out beautifully. I love the use of your buttons. I bought the patter as soon as I saw it, now need to decide when to make one.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Gosh, it's a really cute bag! Of course, I have always liked that print, and have some of it myself. But the overall bag design is practical. Practicality holds a lot of weight when I'm choosing a bag pattern to make. The addition of your buttons gives it unexpected pops of interest, and though I haven't seen the bag made with snaps, I sure like your button version.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a fun pouch! I love designs that stand up and open wide. This looks like one of those. So I am sure you will find many options to use it. And what a fun "fix" with the selvage. xo

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lots of steps to make that pouch! I really like the Viewmaster fabric.

    ReplyDelete