Wednesday, August 14, 2024

Fragments

Ages ago - two years ago maybe? - I hung a small quilt in our Little Free LibraryJust 9" x 12", it was begun in September of 2019, on a touring bus, somewhere between Paris and Beaune, France.

Fast forward to this week when I was restocking our LFL, and noticed that the little quilt was gone. No problem. I'm fine that someone claimed it, but it made me think I should hang another quilt up, and see if it finds a new home too. This small (9" x 9") quilt, which I named "Fragments," was created straight from the scrap basket. 

I began with a tiny pieced scrap I'd come across a few weeks ago and kept for just such a time as this.


Bit by bit, it grew...



Until it was large enough, and ready to make a scrappy back, baste, and consider quilting options.


Using Aurifil 50wt 2612 [Arctic Sky], I did angled straight-line quilting, between 1/16" and 1/2" apart. I originally planned on a grid, but actually one direction seemed enough.



A scrappy binding was the obvious choice, and once I got a few photos, I took it right out to hang in our LFL. We'll see if it gets claimed. I should probably put a little sign up to let folks know that would be ok, so I'll give that some thought. Meanwhile, it was a fun little diversion. Now back to work on chair blocks!

7 comments:

  1. My neighbor recently installed a Little Art Library, and I haven't gotten around to making anything to contribute yet (placemat? mug cozy?)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like the little bookmarks too. Might need to make some of those for our LFL

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really love those too and need to make more!

      Delete
  3. It looks so cozy in with the books. I hope someone claims it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You have such a way with scraps! I'm always struck by the ease with which you manage to put them together. I'd have angst, and would always be second-guessing my cutting and piece-placing choices. Fragments is charming, and I have no doubt - sign or not - that it will be happily picked up by someone who has an eye for great design.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've been on vacation, I'm back!
    I like the 'fragment' you started with and then how it grew out... thanks for sharing the process. The backing is a beautiful statement too!

    ReplyDelete