Thursday, August 1, 2024

Matrix

After the recent On the Grid workshop with Maria Shell, I had a few improv elements to work with, but a ways to go to a finished quilt. First up was to build out the quarter log cabin blocks I'd begun. I loved how these ended up, but of course, more was needed.

I used a few of the tiny crosses as the center, and created some stripe sets; and for me, it was now a quilt top.

For the back, I did use the tracks I'd made in the workshop, made a few more tiny crosses and stripes, and put them all together.


For quilting, an uneven grid seemed appropriate, so I started in with Aurifil 40wt 2600 [Light Gray]. As I was quilting, I thought to myself that it might have been a good idea to use a lavender thread to bring out that lavender in the log cabin blocks. And then I realized it wasn't too late! So I used the gray thread for the lines going in one direction; and Aurifil 50wt 2515 [Light Orchid] for the perpendicular lines. I think it suits!

Once quilted, it was obviously time for binding, and for some reason, it came to me that a chunky binding would be a great fit for this little quilt. [I'd come up with my own method for that but if you're interested, Audrey's @cottonandbourbon Wide Binding Tutorial is very similar and very helpful.]


This piece also seemed to call for matched binding, and this was the first time I combined the two binding methods. It was a little tricky on a piece this small (27" x 27"), but it worked out ok. Note, though, that the 'matching' lines up with the lavender fabric placement on the front, but not on the back.



Though I ended up not being happy with the larger palette I initially chose for the On the Grid workshop, I really like the narrower palette I used on the front of this quilt. Overall, this was a really fun piece that I named "Matrix." So much, that I've already signed up for Maria's next Improv for Everyone workshop, Improv for Everyone–Improv Triangles–Virtual Workshop to be held on January 4, 2025.


2 comments:

  1. I really love the chunky binding and how it calls to the wider area of the lavender inside the piecing. Beautiful finish and thank you so much for linking up!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ohhh, I do like the addition of the squares in the middle!!! Super cool back! And I love the addition of the chunky matching binding!

    ReplyDelete